Sunday, June 22, 2008

Chapter 13

A week later I get a call from Ted.

"Rebecca, we have an opening for you. Now, it's not really in the entertainment industry per se..."

Mind you, this temp agency's motto is "Staffing for the Entertainment Industry."

Ted hears my eyes roll.

"Well, it is involved in the entertainment industry I guess."

Given that I paid $40 dollars for gas that morning and my boss at my other part-time job was pretending I didn't exist, I could settle with "involved in the entertainment industry."

"Do you ever watch TV late at night and see those infomercials?"

My eyes lit up.

Please for the love of God let me work for Aqua Doodle.

That would be fucking amazing. I knew watching Adult Swim was worth something.

I answer yes. Ted continues:

"The company is called [Thirty-Third Star] and it's run by a woman named [Susan Ellen]. Basically you would be doing office maintenance. Typing, filing, answering phones, that kind of thing."

"Sounds good," I answer. (In hindsight, I can't believe I said, “"Sounds good." Fuck me. Fuck me. Fuck me.)

Ted gave me Susan Ellen's website and told me he'd call me again the next day with the specifics.

I went to her website. On the homepage, there was a picture of a woman, who I assumed was Susan Ellen, with three tiny-white dogs.

I clicked around and noticed some spark words such as "treatment", "detoxification", "The Da Vinci Code", and "body inches".

What the fuck was this company?

No comments: