Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Chapter 36: I Believe in Genies

Here is something I love about middle-aged women from the East Coast who claim they are spiritual:

The will receive a piece of jewelry, a poster, trinket, or decorative item that symbolizes their spiritual beliefs and they don’t know that these said items are from the 99 Cent Store.

These women will light these candles, adorn themselves with these trinkets, or pray to these jewels that are all bought from the same store that sells shedding brillo pads, non-adhesive scotch tape, and dew rags.

Susan Ellen showed me a plastic genie lamp that a friend got her.

“He’s been to Saudi Arabia so many times so he knows his lamps.”

Underneath the lamp, the price sticker was still on it: 2-for-1 $1.00.

“Sometimes I like to take it and rub it like Aladdin. It’s like this spiritual thing I like to do to help my dreams come true,” she explained.

“I know this sounds weird, but you know that I’m more spiritual than religious. I don’t really believe in God, per se, but, honestly, I believe in genies.”

And… you’re welcome.

2 comments:

Pixie said...

This needs to be a book someday. Or a screenplay. Oh my god.

Dusty Adams said...

oh gaaad!

Becky, I second Pixie's notion and also raise her one and say I need to meet your boss in the flesh